Victoria and Albert Museum

Cromwell Road,

The Victoria and Albert Museum's collections span two thousand years of art in virtually every medium, from many parts of the world, and visitors to the museum encounter a treasure house of amazing and beautiful objects. The story of the V&A's foundation helps to explain its astonishing richness and diversity.

The Museum was established in 1852, following the enormous success of the Great Exhibition the previous year. Its founding principle was to make works of art available to all, to educate working people and to inspire British designers and manufacturers. Profits from the Exhibition were used to establish the Museum of Manufactures, as it was initially known, and exhibits were purchased to form the basis of its collections.

The Museum moved to its present site in 1857 and was renamed the South Kensington Museum. Its collections expanded rapidly as it set out to acquire the best examples of metalwork, furniture, textiles and all other forms of decorative art from all periods. It also acquired fine art - paintings, drawings, prints and sculpture - in order to tell a more complete history of art and design.

Generous funding and a less competitive art market than today's meant that the young Museum was able to make many very important acquisitions. The Museum itself also grew, with new buildings being added as and when needed. Many of these buildings, with their iron frames and glass roofs, were intended to be semi-permanent exhibition halls, but they have all survived and are one of the finest groups of Victorian buildings in Britain.

In 1899, Queen Victoria laid the foundation stone of a new building designed to give the Museum a grand façade and main entrance. To mark the occasion, it was renamed the Victoria and Albert Museum, in memory of the enthusiastic support Prince Albert had given to its foundation.

Map & Directions: Victoria and Albert Museum


MOBILITY AIDS: Wheelchairs and walking frames are available at the information desk in the Grand Entrance. Stools are also available in a range of galleries.


INDUCTION LOOPS: Yes. Neck loops and radio receivers for use on talks and tours are also available from the information desk in the Grand Entrance


NEAREST TUBE/RAIL STATION: South Kensington, Gloucester Road and Knighsbridge.

BUSES: 14, 74, 360, 414 and C1.

NEAREST CAR PARKS: Union Car Park on Harrington Road and Chelsea Cloisters Car Park on Sloane Avenue.


Sorry! We are not currently stocking any tickets for any events at this venue.