Blanche, the timid daughter of an aristocrat, joins the Carmelite order of nuns, against the wishes of her family. In the monastery she meets Constance, a lively peasant girl, who makes a shocking prophecy.
The terror and turbulence of the French Revolution provides the backdrop for Francis Poulenc's powerful opera of faith, bravery and redemption. Poulenc created the libretto for DIALOGUES DES CARMÉLITES after a play of the same name by writer Georges Bernanos and the opera was given its premiere at La Scala, Milan, in 1957.
Director Robert Carsen (Falstaff, ROH, 2012) brings his intense and daring production of DIALOGUES DES CARMÉLITES to The Royal Opera for the first time, with the original production from De Nederlandse Opera, Amsterdam. DIALOGUES DES CARMÉLITES culminates in one of opera's most devastating final scenes, as Blanche embraces death with her fellow nuns to a transcendent setting of the hymn Salve Regina hymn.
At Covent Garden's Royal Opera House from 29 May until 11 June 2014, book your DIALOGUES DES CARMÉLITES tickets today!
*Please note: Sung in French with English surtitles.
Please click here to view other events at the Royal Opera House.
Please note that if you choose tickets to be delivered via the Post for this event, please take your theatre vouchers to the Royal Opera House box office on the day of the event so they can be exchanged for ROH tickets prior to the performance time.
All tickets are subject to Royal Opera House Terms & Conditions of sale:
1. Refunds cannot be given unless a performance has been cancelled;
2. The Royal Opera House reserves the right o make alterations to the published programme without prior notice;
3. Tickets are non-transferable. Patrons with tickets purchased from unauthorised sellers may be refused entry:
4. The Royal Opera House reserves the right to provide alternative seats to those specified on the ticket;
5. Latecomers will not be admitted until a suitable break or interval;
6. The use of cameras and recording equipment is strictly forbidden;
7. The Royal Opera House reserves the right to refuse admission.